Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Step One: Narrow Down Expenses

Please read the "Starting Over" post to be updated on the happenings of late that have prompted these 'Steps'--it will explain everything.

It would be so easy to keep living this life that I live--sitting tight in the relationship that has worked for so long, running a smooth house with a balance of responsibilities, nurturing the children and sharing their needs/care, managing the day-to-day business of what comes up together and numbing desires with monotony, curbing passion with complacency.

The fear is enough to keep me still, enough to keep me anchored to a life I can no longer endure. I have started down this road of separation and can't imagine going back.

I've used my voice and I've claimed my right to happiness, claimed my right to authenticity, claimed my place, independent of her, independent of that which does not bring me joy or take me higher.

I want to be elevated--I want to rise.

In the last year, I've tapped into the depths of myself, understanding me and rooting into my possibilities--this cannot, this will not be that which takes me down.

Now I've entered an arena of logistics--fortunately for me, I'm an educated girl and think well on my feet and, well, there is the strength that I have inside and my resolution to keep my head up.

So, I have to start somewhere, right? Might as well begin with what scares me most--finances.

Step One: Narrow Down and Split Expenses
Steps taken toward that end?

  1. Cancelled cable (except for basic)--a savings of $66.00 a month.
  2. Cancelled Blockbuster subscription--a savings of $25.00 a month.
  3. Make a list of her financial responsibility, as well as my own, while we live under the same roof--creating a "roommate" situation.

Now I suppose another job is in order? As much as I love my yoga--it does not pay the bills. Update to follow on this I'm sure.


0 comments: