Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Full Moon Writer's Circle

It was three of us, circled in our chairs, nuzzled under our blankets to ward off the chill of the evening, waves crashing in the very near distance and the full moon overhead with cloud cover from time to time.

I had been invited into the forming ritual and was very excited to share my writing--in all of my years, I've never had a venue to share my writing--it had always been my anchor, my release, my therapy, my distance, my wall but never my bond.

The topic was "What have I learned?"--I only knew of this two days prior to the moon circle and could not coerce my mind into cooperation. Plus, I was overwhelming myself with answers to the question that kept leading back to 'nothing'. So I brought a poem I had written about 7 or 8 years ago when I had my first attraction to a woman--a poem that meant a lot to me as it represented a passing over, a new breath, a new facet of myself that I was exploring.

The first of our group read her response to the topic--"What I've learned since yesterday"--ahh, yes. That would make perfect sense now wouldn't it? Narrow the scope of the question into a framework more easily managed. Where was that epiphany when I was drilling my brain for what I had learned? I really liked her response--it was light and funny, humor seemed to come very easy and natural in her writing.

The second of our group read her response and she had broken hers down into categories--a laundry list of things learned. Another brilliant approach to tackling a daunting question. Her response was great as well--little vignettes of lessons along her way.

I was so inspired by talking with them, reading to them and listening to them under the full moon. I was savoring our time together, even after the sharing--sipping tea, nibbling on cookies and exchanging stories of our lives and our families.

We ended our evening with a group hug in the driveway just as the rain began to fall and I sang all the way home.

A few minutes after I walked in the front door my kids were each out of bed wanting to hear about my night. We kissed and hugged and I promised a full report in the morning.

0 comments: