Sunday, April 27, 2008

Turns out, dirt's expensive

I have a garden--a raised garden. My honey was working all day on the construction of my raised bed. We rose early and headed to Lowe's for the supplies, to the tune of $140.00 but we got:


Organic garden soil, wood for the frame, nails and brackets for the "construction", a jalapeno plant and vine tomato plants


Then, after we realized that the first 8 cubic feet of soil was not going to touch the space we needed to fill, honey headed back to Lowe's for 16 cubic feet MORE of soil for another $60.00.

WOW! Who knew dirt was so pricey? I certainly didn't but it was worth it--I've been on a cloud all day knowing that I have my garden space to tend, a place where my little plastic cupped seedlings can FINALLY spread their roots. They are my other babies. So, yeah, sort of pathetic--whatever.

If this is where the story of my day ended, it would be bliss but, alas, it's not. At the end of our day, honey was heading out to get gas so it was one less thing she had to do before work in the morning and BAM. Her car died with no warning and wouldn't power back up.

Fucking fantastic.

I really wonder what I've done or not done to attract this level of bullshit. Is there a reason at all? Are we working on total randomness in life or does our energy put out determine the energy that comes back?

If the former is true, well, then hell. Take what comes and deal, right? But if the latter is true, then what gives man?

Ya know, I'm not going to sweat it--it's probably just the battery. And, sure, it should be an easy fix--in another household. Unfortunately, we have a garden to show for this last payday and no leftovers. We'll be sharing a car until next payday and hope that there's an extra bit for whatever car repair we need.

I'm an adult--I'll be SO glad when things like car repairs and gardens, simultaneously, don't threaten our financial security or more accurately, our ability to buy food.

But I've had my cry and I've had my dinner. I lined my garden tonight with the seedlings to map their placement. I swept the driveway and baked cookies. I kissed the faces of my children. I have another car to share for now and tonight, I'll lay my head on my pillow in my house.

I'll be fine. Because I want to, because I have to, because I need to.

Especially if the timing of the next shit-bomb is spaced appropriately from this one.

0 comments: