Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Sunday Baby

...is napping right now. I thought I could just lay her down. After all, that's what they do in daycare, just lay them on their sterile plastic mats on the cold, hard floor. But no. She wouldn't hear of it. She wasn't pushy, she didn't throw a tantrum, she just whined pitifully when I left the room. When I heard her whimpers, I rushed back to the room. I was just in time to witness the most pitiful face a babe can make--the curled down bottom lip and little eyes brimming w/tears that haven't yet fallen from the sides. The expression that says in a most powerful way, "you suck a-hole". I couldn't stand it, I cooed and cooed as I laid down beside her offering my earlobe. The earlobe is her snuggle, her way of sensing and soaking up the person beside her. She's done this since she could first will her hands to move in her favor.

I rubbed her head, kissed her hand and stroked her cheek. She pulled on my earlobe her eyes rolling around under their lids. Her eyelids would get heavy and close but her will to know I was there, to be in the world of the awake, was stronger and her eyes would open again. Then, flutter of the lashes, a few smacks of the lips, snuggle of the face into it's comfort spot and alas, the final close of the lids.

Sweet dreams Sunday Baby.

Soon you'll go home and the only remnant of our time together will be the smeared handprints you created for me on my new glass door.

0 comments: