Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why I couldn't stop smiling today...and still can't

We were leaving the house today heading out to a nearby park for a "Dangerous Insects, Animals and Plants" workshop and then to our favorite used book store. I pulled up to the stop sign that takes us off our street and waited for the oncoming motorcyclist. As he approached, I saw that he was dancing. He had his headphones on, sunglasses (no helmet but I'll save my soapbox bit here) and he was jammin' in his own little world. Smile spread across his face, arms waving up and down to the beat playing in his ears, mouthing the words of the song and bobbing up and down slightly on his seat.

I couldn't help it--I laughed and couldn't stop smiling. This man is my new hero--what moxie! Once we made our turn, we were then behind him and he was still going. The kids were smiling too--they thought it was great! My daughter said she was going to try not to forget him and I thought the same thing to myself. We watched him fade into the distance ahead of us, still dancing and surely still smiling--that was the best part, his smile.

This motorcycle performer will not know what he did for me today, how he lifted our spirits, made us laugh and made us smile. I SO wanted to tell him how I admired him. How he reminded me to stop working so hard on other people's impression of me and just be.

Dance when you feel the music and sing if you know the words or even if you just think you do--why the fuck not and who the fuck cares?

0 comments: