Saturday, January 12, 2008

Oh, the thrill!

So I'm reading NPR tonight and I'm introduced to a book written by a "rogue" sociologist who infiltrated a tough gang in Chicago, even led it for a day and has used his sociological lens to explore his experience and theirs.

Okay, thrilling on two parts man. First, I LOVE sociology--I love the whole exploring social structures and social beings, it's my heart. Second, I also LOVE informal networks and power structures--I've seen the Godfather series more times than I can count and, though I hate violence, you gotta respect the way they get shit done.

Needless to say, this book is in my shopping cart at Amazon. I have dreams of a project of this sort--perhaps an extensive study on homeschooling moms--leaving behind the research I've already collected and speaking as an insider, whereby my status as "insider" affords me a certain, preferable perspective. Perhaps an autoethnography. But are homeschooling moms rouge enough, bad enough, whereby 'bad' implies a certain level of cool, are they gangsta enough? You laugh now but I don't know man. I've seen the claws come out--I've seen the nasty.

Okay, okay, so homeschooling moms are miles from gangsta tough--given. But I can sociologize on my own right?

Am I second-guessing my decision to cease writing my thesis? Was my assertion to stop a necessary step to push back, take a breather and move foward of my own accord, at my own pace?

We shall see.

0 comments: