Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Crick in my Neck and What Shakespeare Has to do With It

My neck is SO tight tonight from all the driving I have done today, all the looking forward in my car, all the ho'ing I have done on behalf of my kids today. Not a single minute to myself, for myself, until now. I insisted on it. Some 'me time' -- it's after 11:00 at night.

My day started with a Dunkin' Donuts run, fuel for me and then a gas station run, fuel for my car. I was on a mission--Elizabethan garb and groceries. My son needs an Elizabethan-type costume for the opening of his play this weekend, "Midsummer Night's Dream" -- he's the duke. I discovered that in Jacksonville, in the 21st century, not so easy to find clothes of a Shakespearean nature. Furthermore, I don't sew so I'm not that mom who only needs a pattern or a vision in order to belt out garb. No, I buy what someone else has already made -- I'm that mom.

I started the search for clothes at Ross, nothing. Then Famous Footwear and Payless for shoes, nothing. Then Target for either or both, nothing. Then Wal-mart and, do I really have to write it? Nothing. I decided to take a break from the predictable pattern I was caught in and do my grocery shopping. I figured, I'd deal with the costume issue later.

Grocery shopping was oddly fulfilling in the wake of my unsuccessful morning -- more so than usual. To walk into the grocery store and have every 'want' met was exhilarating, I felt so freakin' powerful --I think I got a little high. Golden Classic Chicken Breast? How thick should I slice it? Thick, I say. Bottled green tea? Aisle 12. Carrots? Carrots. I even earned some free cheese when I brought it to their attention that I had been overcharged for my cheese. I didn't chance my luck by asking for bigger things -- I kept it reasonable and stuck to my list.

On my way home from the grocery store and still a little high from all that power, I saw them. Two police officers in the median. Checked my speed--reflex, who doesn't? As I passed them I looked in my rearview mirror to see one patrol car turn onto the roadway from the median--surely not. Then the lights. Maybe in route to an emergency? Perhaps. The car directly behind me moves to the right lane, the patrol car pulls forward and is now directly behind me. I try the same thing and move into the right lane--I pretty much know I'm busted at this point but there's always the chance that he's responding elsewhere. Sure as shit he pulls over behind me. I begin scoping for an appropriate pullover spot while emptying my arsenal of curse words.

I'll spare the details. He cut me some serious slack but I got a ticket. I waited to cry until I pulled away--I will not be that woman.

I made one more stop at a thrift store around the corner from my house, one last ditch attempt to scrounge together a costume for the dress rehearsal, now only a few hours away. The results? Well, in keeping with the theme of my day, nothing. Although, note to self, cool thrift store and I should drop-in more often.

Raced home to feed the munchkins with only two hours to spare before we had to be pulling out of our driveway. Checked my email. Scarfed salad. Sat for about 10 minutes and we were off.

After I dropped my little man and his friend off at their rehearsal, my daughter and I headed out, again, in search of costuming. Found a great frilly top in the girl's section of K-Mart and some dark gray sweat pants that I could manipulate into the balloon-like pants of Shakespeare's time. I wasn't convinced that the top would fit though, so we headed to Marshall's for a back-up and do you believe I actually found one? Quite unexpected in the aftermath of my day, I expected something more along the lines of nothing or something perfect in another size or to be run over the parking lot.

I should be saying that my day was almost over when rehearsals ended at 6:30 but, no. No, then I headed to Panera for a meeting with other party planners from our homeschool group to discuss and plan for our group's upcoming Valentine's Party. We planned, we sipped coffee, we veered off course and landed in other topics--it was cool but I wasn't making my way home until 10:30.

Finally, as we turned onto our street, I explained to the kids that I would love to read with them, like we usually do, but in light of the fact that my day was spent in total service to others, I was going to enjoy some writing and down time. They got it -- they get me.

I'm exhausted and am turning into bed now to rest and restore for another day tomorrow. It's all good.

Oh yeah, the clothes are perfect -- certainly fit for a duke of the Elizabethan era.

0 comments: