Thursday, January 24, 2008

Accomplishments and Splurges

The previous post, "Cooking with my Daughter" is my column submission this week. I'm determined to get back on track in that respect and this is my start.

The kiddos and I went on a cool field trip this morning at 9:00 which means I had to wake up at 7:00--I NEVER wake up at 7:00, I prefer 10 or 11. Anyway, we visited Sally Corp where they create Animatronics and Dark Rides. It was cool and the kiddos were able to see how artists, engineers, graphic designers, musicians, etc. can co-exist and build off each other's talent to create amazing end results! Who knew? Right here in my little city.

After our field trip, we headed to Panera for breakfast--overpriced in my opinion but worth every cent for our time together. We paid 16.00 for two breakfast sandwiches (sausage, egg and Vermont cheddar on ciabatta bread), a bagel w/cream cheese, large coffee and two hot chocolates. I spent more than I intended but I wanted to treat the kids to a breakfast with mom that was free of financial undertones--so I did. They're always helping me watch our bottom line, it felt good to splurge a little.

They were SO excited--you'd think I was taking them to Disney or something. And I love that. I love that breakfast with mom is a thrill for them. I love that I'm good company in their eyes. I love how they love me, simple as that.

After a few hours at home we headed to son's rehearsals and I started a new book I just received in the mail from Amazon--"Kripalu Yoga." It's super-cool and I can tell a few pages in that this is going to be an asset to my practice and overall well-being. I love when I get lucky with a book!

Following rehearsals we drove home and I practiced yoga for about 45 minutes and warmed some leftovers on the stove. In the spirit of splurging, I decided to have a Coca-Cola with my dinner. *gasp* I haven't had a real soda in months--maybe a year. If I do drink a carbonated beverage, I buy natural sodas sweetened with sugar and not HFCS--I just can't tell a difference. But tonight, I just wanted something other than water with my dinner and there was one Coke in the fridge leftover from family being in town. I pounced on it--I have no regrets.

This is me at peace with myself and at peace with my soda.

0 comments: