Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The voice of the "nonbeliever"

Even though I L*O*V*E our new president and voted for him with excitement and intention, I will invoke my right as a citizen of this nation to rebut him just as I have the outgoing prez--though I feel sure that I will be doing so less than before, fair is fair.

In his inaugural address, he addressed a few religious groups and then..."non-believers".

Hmmm...certainly a nod to people like me BUT it implies that there is something to believe in at all and I (and others like me) simply opt out. We choose not to believe.

I know, I know--shut up Tina. It's semantics, right?

Well. Sure. It's small potatoes for sure but language can include and exclude, it can elevate and reduce and I'm quite accustomed to being on the excluded and reduced side so I pick it up like a pin-drop.

All I'm saying is, we need new language for "non-believers"--something that recognizes and better represents the myriad ways that people define and express their spiritual-religious-nonspiritual-nonreligious experience and/or identity.

For now, Obama, I'll take 'seeker of meaning" or 'traveller of a borderless path'...or something to that effect.

Just get back to me...

0 comments: