Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A fairy among us...

My life is no busier than anyone elses this time of year so I will not bore you with a 'this is how busy I've been' backdrop.

After a 5:30 AM personal yoga practice, teaching my 8 AM yoga class and a long day at work, my little family joined my brother's little family at his house last night for food, presents and fun.
It was wonderful. I had brought chocolate for melting and the cousins dipped and decorated pretzels and candy canes and lollipops, played Wii and we all enjoyed each other's company.

By 9:00, when we said goodbye for our drive home, I was exhausted. Physically spent and mentally drained--I had nothing left and the highway in front of me seemed foreign and much longer than EVER before.

That's when he said it, my little man.

"The tooth fairy's coming tonight!"

My heart sank.

A little bit of backdrop is necessary here.

Little man has had a very persistent baby tooth clinging to it's place in the ole' gums, above that a partial tooth and above that, the permanent tooth with no chance of descent because of it's position and the obvious barriers. So, step by step, our dentist is creating a path--yesterday, my little man took a very powerful sleeping pill and endured 5 shots to have this baby tooth pulled. He was so brave and came out smiling, one tooth short.

It's no wonder that, after this ordeal, he was excited for the treaure the tooth fairy would bestow.

In all my sensitivity, clearly dulled from exhaustion, I suggested we arrange for the tooth fairy and santa on the same night (I knew I could NOT out last him and be able to perform my fairy duties) and because my children work SO hard to be understanding and patient with me and all of my imperfections, he stiffened that little chin, puffed up his chest, giggled a bit and said that would be fine.

By 10:30 PM, after our storytime, I was out--no thoughts stirring my mind up last night. I was O*U*T.

This morning, my daughter, with her sweet little sleepy face, told me that she filled my fairy shoes--she had taken the $5 she received in her stocking the night before and left it on his nightstand. "I hope you don't mind" she said, "He just seemed so sad".

I was so moved--to my core, moved. So honored to have this child in my orbit, in my life.

There's more.

We went in to wake sleepyhead and as he came to give me a hug, I noticed that his face was sparkling with 'fairy dust'--she hadn't skimped on the duties of a good fairy. She had taken her role very seriously.

When I tell him that his face is very glitter-y, the tooth fairy must have come, he lights up with his thrilled, snaggle smile and begins his search.

There it is on the nightstand--$5 folded around a precious stone. Another beat not missed.

It's as if I passed the fairy torch last night--all that I have given reflected back to me and the importance it holds in their hearts, their traditions and their memories.

My cup runneth over.

0 comments: