Monday, March 24, 2008

Opting Out

I notice a 17.9% interest rate on my credit card statement, a jump of 8% from last month and the first such leap in, well, all of the 12 years I have had the card.

I call the bank frantically. Of course, the representatives I need to speak with are only there M-F but she notices I qualify for a lower rate. Really? Like, the one I had 6 days ago perhaps or another?

I call this morning, start of business day. Yes, he confirms, you do qualify. Apparently the rate hiked because I did not respond to a letter mailed to me in January allowing me to opt out of the rate hike but I needed to call or mail in my reply.

Ah.

Is that how we play?

Well, after much consideration, I suppose I've decided to opt out of the rate hike (moron).

Great, he says. He can do it over the phone.

Glad I won't have to build a sacrificial alter for one of my children for this such retro action.

However, he adds, subsequent purchases will thrust the card back to 17% permanently.

Let me get this straight. You're taking my rate back down to where it SHOULD BE, yet, if I use this card again, my rate will permanently hike to 17%.

Yes ma'am.

I see.

Then, he offers me a checking account with said bank.

That's laugh out loud funny!

See, he explains, more than one account often assures different treatments, different considerations because the relationship is expanded.

Well then (shit for brains) here's what I think:

Any such "relationship" we ever had or were promised to have, ended the second I made this phone call. I, how do you say? Opt-out.

0 comments: