Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Life goes on...

Even when I don't blog--imagine! Let's see, my youngest turned nine years old--blows my mind. I am SO proud of him and all that he has accomplished in his life. I wrote him a sweet card telling him exactly how I feel--he loved it and I love that he loves that stuff. I love that he still loves my lap--what a man.

We had his family party Saturday evening because I was on call with the Rape Recovey team on his birthday (Sunday) so I wanted to be sure to have uninteruppted time for celebrating him.

Then on Sunday (his birthday), we were on our way to Build-a-Bear and I was paged out for a rape. I was crushed because I was worried about him--he didn't miss a beat, "Don't worry mama, we can go later." What a man.

When I got home from my call-out we proceeded to Build-a-Bear again--this time successfully. He built his triceratops, his sister a hippo, and then we went to Toys-r-Us for him to spend a gift card he was mailed for his birthday. Following this whirlwind spending spree, we had dinner at the Olive Garden and, finally, home.

I was sad because in all that dropping of cash, we lost something more important than things--memories. I am an advocate for family time, for time together creating memories, sustaining self and creating an understanding of each other and what is important.

I explained this to him as best I could, that even though I loved our day together and I am glad he got to buy things that he enjoys, the important stuff is what happens between us--all of us. It's knowing you have a place in this world little man, little woman--that you count for something and I love my time with you because of what you bring to my life. Every single second of it.

0 comments: