Saturday, June 09, 2007

Thank you for the little things...

This morning my son and I were out checking on our garden--snipping dead blooms, watering and pulling little green sprouts that grow as a result of birdseed falling from the feeder above our heads. We were kneeling in the grass around our little tree each pulling these little growths from potted flowers and the earth. He asked what they were and I explained how they came to grow in this location--he thought they were cute and yes, I suppose they were. He would also take notice and pleasure when we would pull, not only the shoot, but the root as well. I confess that this gave me some level of satisfaction myself but I had never thought to say it out loud.

Then he said, "look the seed" and I was thinking to myself, yes there are a lot of seeds, this is where they fall but I stopped to look and I'm glad I did. He was holding the little green shoot in his hand and had shaken the soil from the root--sure enough, the seed was still there. It was opened, only a shell of it's former self as my son held it's fruit, it's culmination in his little hand. I kissed him and told him how very much I loved how he took the time to see the world in this way--how he took time to notice and how very much I loved him for that.

This 10-15 minutes with my son were spiritual and I feel as if I grew a little inside just for being with him in that moment...

0 comments: